Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Write Turn

Trust in the Lord, and do good;
     dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
 Delight yourself in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:3-4





What Was I Thinking??

Well, today I start my new adventure. 

I quit a very good paying job for a teaching job that will require me to do more work for less pay. 

And now you know why I am so nervous!


But, I am following a dream. I am trusting in the Lord. And I am ready to go on this adventure!




Why Teach?

I'll admit it, but I'm one of those freaky people who loves school.  After school, I would play "school" in my bedroom using my mirror as the chalkboard. I used to cry on the last day of school when I was a kid.

I think my siblings thought I was nuts. 

Maybe I am!

But I have felt called to teach since 2005 when I was asked to teach at the community college level. I knew then that I loved it and had to be in the classroom. 

In 2009, however, I was frustrated and burned out with teaching. So, I took a job that put me in a cubicle 9 hours a day for 2 1/2 years. I'm not complaining because it was a cushy job that paid well and taught me much. 

But I wasn't teaching. 

And I missed that. 





Trust



God's Ways

I learned that God's ways are so not our ways! And that is a VERY good thing. A blessing in disguise, trust me. 

I've blogged about trust before, but this year I am truly taking a leap of faith. Close friends know that I have been praying about obtaining a teaching job for over a year now. I went on interviews only to turn down the job because it wasn't a good fit. And I realized that's okay. I didn't want to run up ahead and find the Lord not there.

So I waited and trusted and prayed...

In the meantime, my first book was released through OakTara publishing (Yay!) and doors of opportunity opened wide for me.

As a published author, I was able to visit local schools and talk to the students about writing, completing a book, and myself. 

And that's when it hit me...I realized then and there just how much I missed teaching kids and inspiring them.

But never in a MILLION years did I expect the Lord to use my book and my writing to provide me with a teaching position. NEVER!


The Write Turn

As I look back on how all this fell into place, I feel a comfort there that is hard to describe. Yet there is still some fear. Fear of the unknown. 

Fear that I made a terrible mistake!

Fear that I don't know what I'm doing. 

Fear of financial ruin.

Fear that I listened to the wrong voice.

And many, many more fears. 

Still, I know that the Lord's ways are not my ways. Had it been up to me, I would have given myself an art teacher position (my comfort zone). That's how I saw it all playing out.

But not the Lord. 

For some reason He sees me teaching writing. I scratch my head on that one. 

For some reason, my little book was published.

For some reason, this school invited me to come talk to the students about my book.

And now...for some reason I will be one of their teachers. 






Trust and Obey

Yesterday, on his Facebook status, my friend posted this:

"When God begins to answer your prayer, will you recognize it and be willing to do what is needed to be part of the answer?"  -Mark Allen Sommer


When I read this status, it spoke to me. I had to answer, "yes" because I am willing. 

I took that leap into the unknown. 

And here I go! Trusting in the Lord. 

I don't know what this school year will bring, but I do know that the Lord has equipped me to teach, He has called me to teach, He has provided me a venue, He has blessed me with support...and I know I will not be alone in that classroom. 

He will always be with me through the good days and the bad days. He turned the desires of my heart into HIS desires for me. 

He is always there. Always has been, always will be. 

Now I just have to be willing to let go...and let Him!




Your turn: How has the Lord taken you down that road into the unknown? How did it all work out?


Blessings,
Ruth







4 comments:

  1. Hey, this is the second post I've read today on obeying God. Maybe he's trying to say something to me. :)

    I can think of a couple times when God led me down an unexpected "I'm not sure I want to go there" road. But both times, He was so, so right...which shouldn't be any surprise at all. But still...it's cool when we can see God nudge us into something we're not so sure about and then look back on it from the other side, so thankful for how he knew what was best all along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Melissa! I can hardly wait to look back on this and smile at what He did in my life.

      You are right, God knows what's best.

      Thanks Melissa!

      Delete
  2. Yay! So excited for you. I know how long you've been wanting this. I know it's going to be great, and it will be so nice to have summers off to write!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linds! I appreciate you putting up with all my venting. Hopefully there won't be many of those days anymore!! Ha!

      And I look forward to writing and discussing writing all year!! Yay!

      Delete