Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Breathe



Stay Calm!

Have you ever sat completely still listening to someone speak and you felt it? You felt that feeling of panic slowly rise up past your gut and into your chest until you realize...

You're not breathing??

Well, that happened to me today. 

I sat in a meeting at work listening to expectations set for me this year and I felt that feeling...but I was able to hold it off.

And then, later, I spoke to my editor about my manuscript he is currently editing and he said it needs a lot of work. Oh no. I know what that means. 

There it was again. That feeling.

PANIC!

I got off the phone and realized I had stopped breathing.

That feeling of panic had crept into my chest and began to choke my heart.

"What have I done?" I asked myself. "I am fooling myself. I am no more a writer than that cricket crawling near my foot! I can't teach this stuff. I have students coming in next week expecting me to teach them something...anything...about writing. What was I thinking??"

I tried to take a breath, but it just wouldn't come. Panic had stopped the breathing process. 

Stay calm. 

Try. To. Breathe.

Have you ever experienced this?





Just Breathe


So I went running after work and took all my frustrations out on the mountain.

And I was able to breathe again. Whew.

The psalmist said:

"Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act."  Ps. 37:5

Praise God.

We don't ever have to rely on ourselves. We can trust in Him knowing He will act. He will take over.

 In my weakness, His strength is perfected. 

He will take care of my every need. Some people I know are dealing with much worse than mere stress from a new job and an overly critical editor.

I am blessed. 

Thanks, Lord.

Your turn: How do you deal with those days when PANIC starts to set in? What Bible verse do you turn to?



Blessings,
Ruth












4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I have! When I quit my job last year and started teaching...I had no idea what I was doing! But God was faithful. And he will be for you too!!!

    And you ARE a writer. Say it over and over. Believe it. You're not only a writer but a published author. Don't let Satan take away joy for what you love. Sure you have a lot to learn. We all do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linds! I appreciate that. It was just one of those days, you know? But I allowed Satan to steal my joy. You are right. I've gotta believe...

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Oh Ruth,
    We all go there. I'd envision that panic button as the Staples, "That was easy," button. :)It makes me laugh. But it might be a good visual to start with. You did the right thing by going running. Exercise and laughter can help so much. Good for you.

    My favorite scripture at the moment for dealing with panic is 2Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." And lately I've been studying up on Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. I love this quote of his.

    “Let us labor for an inward stillness--
    An inward stillness and an inward healing.
    That perfect silence where the lips and heart
    Are still, and we no longer entertain
    Our own imperfect thoughts and vain opinions,
    But God alone speaks to us and we wait
    In singleness of heart that we may know
    His will, and in the silence of our spirits,
    That we may do His will and do that only.”

    Hope that helps a little.
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful poem, Jillian. Thank you for that. It does help A LOT!

      Yes, running helps me tremendously. I don't know what I'd do without exercising my frustrations away. I suppose I'd paint or draw more often, that's for sure.

      Of course, there's always chocolate!

      Thanks so much for your kind words.

      Delete