Sunday, October 21, 2012

Hallowed Be Thy Name


“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name..."
Matthew 6:7




Have you ever prayed for God's name to be glorified here on earth?

My husband and son are in the middle of watching the "Holiness of God" video series by R.C. Sproul.  One night, as I watched the video with them, Dr. Sproul spoke about the holiness of God's name.

As I watched and listened to his teaching, I was convicted of something in particular. 

Dr. Sproul reminded his audience that Jesus taught His disciples to pray that God's name would be worshiped as "holy".

Boy, was I convicted. 

I don't think I have ever asked the Lord God in prayer for His name to be glorified here on earth as it is in heaven. 

Yet that is how Jesus told us to pray. 





Holy, Holy, Holy

So, how do they glorify God's name in heaven?


Revelation 4:7-8

"And around the throne, on each side of the throne, are four living creatures, full of eyes in front and behind:the first living creature like a lion, the second living creature like an ox, the third living creature with the face of a man, and the fourth living creature like an eagle in flight. And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say,

“Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty,  
who was and is and is to come!”"


That's pretty amazing. 


Jesus, God Himself in the flesh, told His disciples to ask that God's name be hallowed...glorified, found holy...here on earth as the start to all prayer. 









A.C.T.S.

I was taught years ago to follow the A.C.T.S. method of prayer as a way of remembering to worship the Lord first and foremost when praying to Him. 

A-adoration

C-confession of sin

T-thanksgiving

S-supplication or requests


As Christians, how often do we truly pray that God's name be glorified here on earth? 

How often do we go into prayer immediately asking for healing, material things, comfort, etc., when we know we should be asking that God's very name is lifted up by His children and set apart as holy?

Convicting, isn't it?

I know many of us out there have real requests. I have friends whose loved ones are sick with cancer, other friends who are recovering from surgery, and still others who need employment.

These are real life concerns and requests.

But, as children of God, shouldn't we be more concerned with whether or not God's name is set apart from all other names on earth as HOLY? 

I know this week I am going to try and make my prayer time more about Him and not about Him meeting my needs.


He deserves the honor. 

He deserves the worship.

He deserves the adoration and praise.

I have a feeling that by the end of the week, my prayer time will be changed forever.


“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
10 Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven."


Amen.


Your turn:  How often do you include worship as part of your prayer time?



Blessings,
Ruth




















1 comment:

  1. Not often enough!!

    And I'm really sorry about your AEPA test. :( Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete