Friday, February 8, 2013

Foolishness




"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."  1 Corinthians 1:18


Foolishness

I believe in a risen Lord. 

I believe He died on the cross 2,000 years ago then rose from the dead. 

I know He lives today. 

How crazy is that?

Yes, I can see how someone outside the faith would see those statements as absolutely insane.

And God knew this. 

He even included non-believers in His word:

1 Peter 2:7-

Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious; but to those who are disobedient, 

"The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone, and a stone of stumbling, a rock of offense."

They stumble, being disobedient to the word, to which they also were appointed."


God speaks to both believers and non-believers. He knows His story is absolutely insane to those who do not see Him. 

To those who do not believe. 






Believing

I grew up believing in the risen Christ. There is not a time in my memory when I didn't believe. So, I respect and admire those who came to Jesus as adults after living a life of disbelief. 

They once saw the cross as foolishness. 

Now they see it as precious. 








Because we now have our eyes open, it can be easy to judge those who are still blind. 

How can you judge a blind person for not knowing what the color red looks like?

Yet that is what we do. We judge those who are without Christ for sinning against Him. 

Why?

Remember, the cross is foolishness to those who cannot see it. We can describe it over and over to them, but until their eyes are opened by God...they cannot see it. 

Think back to how you were before you could see Him. 

You groped around in the dark searching for the light switch. You stumbled and fell.  

Pray for those who see the cross as foolishness. Pray that God will open their eyes so they can stop stumbling in the dark. 

Pray that they see the cross one day as precious. 

Pray. 


Your turn: How do you see the cross? 




Blessings,
Ruth









2 comments:

  1. I see the cross as...awesomeness and like you said, precious. Jesus taking my punishment...and beating out death. I, too, grew up believing...I've often wondered what it'd be like to hear the Good News for the very first time. Would I think it was crazy? Foolish? What would it be like to hear about Jesus and his death and resurrection for the first time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often thought about that, too, Melissa. Would I think the story and Jesus insane like some of my non-believing friends do? Or would I think Him a "good" teacher or Rabbi only?

      I am grateful that I am no longer blind.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete