Sunday, January 26, 2014

Dwell on LIFE!

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?"
Matthew 6:25






LIFE


People today are terrified of growing old. Our society worships the youth and their culture. We color our hair (I know I do!), get plastic surgery or Botox, try to keep up with the latest fads in clothing or music, watch the latest shows or movies, all in vain attempts to stay young.  


But the truth is: We all are getting older!  

No one wants to think about getting older or death, especially the young. I didn't want to think about it when I was in my teens or my twenties.

But I was forced to...



1990

In 1990, my husband was preparing to ship overseas. As a result, the Marine Corps set up an appointment with people to help us complete our Last Will and Testament. Imagine being 22yrs old and filling out a will. Who thinks about death at age 22? We weren't prepared for it, but the reality was, Scott was in the USMC heading overseas and he could die far from home. 

But the young don't want to think about death that awaits us all. 

Jesus came to us as a baby who grew into a man. He came to die for us and conquer death once and for all.

But He also came to LIVE for us!

His word doesn't tell us to dwell on death. It doesn't tell us to dwell on our youth.

His word tells us to dwell on LIFE in Christ! Amen.

Yes, we are all growing older and our bodies will start to fail us. However...

  • God is still good.
  • He is still there.
  • And His promises are still YES in Christ Jesus! 


Life is so much more than what's all around us. So when you find yourself dwelling on the things all around you, when you find yourself caught up in your circumstances, STOP! When you find yourself worshiping the youth and their culture, STOP! And when you find yourself dreading the fact that you are getting older...stop. 


"Do not regret getting older. It is a privilege denied to many." -anonymous


LIFE is far more than food, clothing, and circumstances. 

Dwell on LIFE in Christ! Hope eternal.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."  -Jesus Christ


Your turn: Do you find yourself wanting more youthfulness? How do you deal with the fact that you're growing older?


Blessings,
Ruth














4 comments:

  1. I really appreciated your post today, Ruth! By nature, I don't tend to dwell on death or even growing older much. But I was just last week looking at myself in the mirror (always a mistake) and realizing that huh, my skin does not look the same as it did five years ago. LOL! It was this mini-moment of hmm, I'm really not in my 20s anymore.

    But you're so right...there's no point in dwelling on that...not when Christ has given us "life" that is so much bigger and better than "youth." While I don't tend to give too much thought to growing older, I am someone who can get caught up in circumstances and let them affect my outlook...but that's so silly because circumstances are temporal. Christ and the life he gives, that's eternal. That's what I want to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I know what you mean, Melissa. I notice more wrinkles and more grey hairs now that I am in my 40's. Amen that life in Christ is ETERNAL and all this around us is temporary.

      Thanks for visiting and I just started reading your book "Made to Last". I really enjoy how it starts.

      Delete
  2. You had a last will at the age of 22? Last wills always have a common misconception that they are only done by a person who are near the end of their life. But it’s more than that; it’s a preparation in life just like what you’ve done. I hope through this, people will realize that it’s always better to be prepared as early as they can. Thanks for sharing.

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David! Yep, no 22yr old wants to think about death but it was a good thing to do.

      Delete