Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Word of the Year

"...But we urge you, brothers, to do this more and more, and to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one."

1 Thessalonians 4:10-12



Most of my friends have started thinking and praying about the "word of the year" for this new year. I have, too.

My word for 2013 was endurance.

Boy did the Lord hear my declaration last January, that's for sure! 

  • I had to endure finishing up my first year teaching. I made many mistakes and it was humbling.
  • I had to endure a summer of repairs to our home and vehicles.
  • I had to endure surgery that set me back.
  • I had to endure a nail-biting experience with the publishing industry as I waited for my second book to come out.
  • Finally,by choice, I had to endure strenuous training for my first Ultra marathon culminating in the race itself.


Aspire

Yes, my year was stressful and I had to endure much, but it was also a blessed year. My family is healthy, we have a wonderful church family, we have a home, food and clothing.

God is good!

So my word for this year is aspire.

I aspire to please God with my thoughts, words, and deeds. I aspire not to gossip  but to speak words of life. I know it won't be easy but with Christ it can be done.

I aspire to listen more and speak less.  I aspire to walk in the spirit and help others to do the same. I aspire to be more like Christ.

So what is your word for this year?

Blessings,
Ruth













2 comments:

  1. Hi, Ruth:
    Obviously coming to this post a bit late ... but I kept it in my inbox to read when life slowed down. (That took a while.) I love your word of 2014. It has such hope in it ... and I can't wait to hear how God works in your life as you focus on this one word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! It was sort of a rushed post that came to me in church last Sunday. I feel I should aspire to many things this year! With God's help, I will. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete